Over time, eye care will be provided free to all those who live in the 23 villages under the leadership of Chief Taulo.
The effort was spearheaded by Dr Kalua, the senior ophthalmologist from the Lions Sight First Eye Hospital ( Queen Elizabeth Central Hospital ) in Blantyre. He is also the head of BICO ( Blantyre Institute for Community Ophthalmology) and the supervisor for the interns from University of Waterloo who do a 6 week clinical rotation there each year.
He has collaborated with a number of entities to put together a tremendous team effort to deliver full scope eye care in the region in partnership with FVM.
The partners include :
- Lions Club International ( Switzerland, Netherlands, Italy, USA and Canada )
- Lions Sight First Eye Hospital and Dr Kalua’s team who will provide free surgery ( especially cataracts)
- FVM under the leadership of Newton Sindo providing the daily stipend for visiting Malawian doctors and support staff from the hospital and also transportation and ancillary costs associated with patients requiring surgery.
- Essilor Optical International providing free prescription lenses and new frames produced exactly to specifications for all who require them.
- Volunteers from the 23 villages providing food for the visiting staff.
- You – as you partner with FVM to make this possible.